Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lice, Lice, Dreaded Lice

The American Academy of Pediatrics recently stated that schools should not have "no nits" policies.  Since lice is not felt to be a public health threat, this statement by the AAP means that children should not be excluded from school once they have been treated for lice just because they still have nits in their hair.  Nits are the egg casings of the lice and are difficult to manually remove.  I'm so glad the AAP has this laissez-faire attitude to lice.  Parents get hysterical about lice and often need to be reminded that there are far worse diagnoses that children receive.  A few weeks ago, I saw a little girl in the office who complained of an itchy head.  She had lice crawling at the roots of her hair.  The mom was horrified, in shock.  I told her that it was, after all, just lice; it wasn't leukemia or lymphoma or diabetes that we were talking about.  You should wash out your linens, I told her, but lice should be treated as an inconvenience and nothing else.  And don't feel like your family is dirty or unclean in any way, I continued, because lice doesn't discriminate; it affects kids from all socioeconomic classes. 

After calming this mom down though, I thought about how I would react if one of my kids got lice.  I have to admit that the sight of the bugs crawling in the child's hair did make my stomach turn.  Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't react so well either.  I'm just going to hope that lice won't invade my house any time soon.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so not an insect person, especially the kind that go after humans. Just watching the movie "The Switch" where Jason Bateman, playing Wally, has to get over his own fears to help Sebastian when he has head lice. Combine that with the bed bug epidemic and I'm scratching all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cindy! Thanks for the comment. I know exactly what you mean! As much as I try to reassure parents, every time I examine a child with lice, I feel itchy for hours afterwards. Talk about psychosomatic itching!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comAugust 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

    Hello,

    I hope all is well. I wanted to bring to your attention a resource for lice that I think would be a great addition to you site. Healthline has a lice buyer’s guide that allows you to find the best lice treatment for your family.

    You can see the guide here: http://www.healthline.com/health/lice-buyers-guide

    I am writing to ask if you would include this as a resource on your page: http://drjeangoh.blogspot.com/2010/09/lice-lice-dreaded-lice.html

    Our buyer’s guide for lice products allows users to search for lice treatments in 5 different categories, view ratings and reviews for specific products, and receive information on where to purchase products.

    Please consider adding this as a resource to your site as I believe it would be great value to your users.

    I’m happy to answer any additional questions.

    Thanks so much,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
    p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    About Us: corp.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete