Friday, August 20, 2010

Activities, Activities, Activities

September is rolling around again, and I've just received an email about potential cooking and art classes for Sophia.  Both Soph and Max are already signed up for soccer on Saturday mornings, and I'm wondering whether Sophia should continue her tennis lessons.  A friend just asked if Max would like to play T-ball with her son.  Another friend is enrolling her son in karate and wondered if Max would do that with him.   Now I just have to figure out when, what, where, and how.

Parents frequently come to our office, frazzled, trying to squeeze in a doctor's appointment between dance or swimming or gymnastics.  I always swore I wouldn't be one of those parents who overschedules her kids.  During well-child visits, I sometimes ask if the child has some time to relax if I get the feeling it's always go, go, go for the poor kid.  Everyone, at every age, needs some down time to themselves.  Truth be told, though, I now know why a mom might plan a slew of activities.  Quite honestly, the thought of entertaining the kids myself during those long empty hours after school is a little daunting.  I think I'm just going to suppress my twinges of guilt by telling myself how much these activites will enrich my kids' lives.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate!! Camden was asked to be on gymnastic "team" which is 2 hrs/day twice/wk from 6-8 PM....we had to hire a "mothers' helper" to pick her and Carter up from school and drive there!!! But she loves it so, that I think it just may be worth it. I asked my sis, who has 4 kids if I should go to such lengths for activities for them, and she said, "Of course, you have to...and this is just the beginning, so get used to it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete