Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Newborn Nursery Rounds

I went to the hospital this morning to see a newborn.  The well-baby nursery must surely be the happiest place in the hospital.  The vigorous cries of the babies, the new moms strolling the halls, the flowers and balloons on the ward all contribute to a joyful energy.  There is such promise in the air, of happy homecomings and the anticipation of all that lies ahead for these infants.  I sometimes think back to those first babies I cared for as a pediatric intern.  To think that I had the privilege of examining their tiny bodies before they left the hospital to begin the rest of their lives.  They're teenagers now; what has become of them?  Hopefully they have brought their parents much love and joy.  Back then, during my first year of training, a new mom laughingly told me, "I want you to tell me he's going to grow up and get into a great college and find a beautiful wife and just be happy!"  I hope she'll get her wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment