Sunday, July 25, 2010

Looking Back on Toilet Training

We were at my in-laws' summer house for the weekend, and Max found his old floor potty to use as a stepstool.  What a relief it is to be done with toilet training.  Last summer, that potty consumed much of my time, sitting by it, praying that Max would pee in it, cleaning poop out of it, moving it from the upstairs bath to the downstairs one and back.  A year later, Max is fully trained, and I think back to the angst and pressure I felt to get him trained.  The pressure was on because he had to be trained to start preschool last fall.  Funny, parents come to me and talk about their toilet training struggles, and I always reassure them that it'll all fall into place.  Don't stress, I say, I can almost guarantee that your child will not be pooping in his pants when he graduates from high school!  But of course I stressed with my own kids, and I feel a little silly now that Max so naturally tells us he needs to go and takes himself off to the bathroom.  He's even taken to asking for privacy when I follow him in. 

That toilet training so consumed us last summer and now the old potty is being used merely as a stepstool makes me think of a quote a friend of mine posted on Facebook.  She wrote about the days going slowly and the years going quickly when you have young children.  How true.  Although it's so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day struggles of child-rearing, I think that most parents would agree that we have to make the most of these special years with our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment