Monday, July 19, 2010

Visiting Night at Camp

I'm so looking forward to Sophia's visiting night at her day camp this evening.  It's her first year there, and finally I get to meet her counselors and her group leader.  She doesn't tell us much about her days at camp, although I'm always trying to eke info out of her.  What did you do today?  How was lunch?  Who did you sit next to at lunch?  Who are you playing with?  If she doesn't say much, does that mean she's happy?

I scan the daily photos the camp posts on the Internet, and in a few, I've noticed Soph standing on the side of the group.  Am I overreading them?  Don't overreact, I tell myself.  Her group leader has left two messages for us in the last three weeks, saying Sophia has been having a good summer.  I've resisted the urge to call back, not wanting to look like the anxious parent I am, but today I called, just to check in.  Apparently, Sophia is quiet but participates in everything.  I briefly mentioned that I noticed Sophia on the fringe of the photos without trying to sound too neurotic, but the group leader reassured me that all the girls play nicely together.  Can't wait to see my baby girl (can I still call her that now that she's going to 1st grade?) tonight amongst her friends.

It's so hard being a mommy, and it's so hard not to be an anxious one!  I feel like I'm always telling parents not to be anxious because anxious parents make kids anxious.  I am determined to try and follow my advice on this one.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It will be great to follow a Pediatrician Mommy :-) I'm following you now! ~Kimberly

    www.stinkerpinker.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kimberly! Honored to have you following my blog. Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete